Skip to main content

On Girls who shoot their shots

In honour of it being a leap year when apparently western tradition okays women proposing marriage, on the last day of the month of love, I give you the post I have been mulling over all month.

So, urban dictionary defines shooting your shot as "To let go of your pride and pursue someone you are interested in. For example: "He hasn't made the first move yet, so I'll have to shoot my shot and slide up into them DMs"

I have never been particularly patient with regards to matters of the heart, so sitting idly by waiting to see if someone likes me too, has never been been my style.  If I like you enough, you will eventually know.

The first time I expressed my feelings for the male species was in a letter I hid inside a textbook I borrowed to "study" for an exam in 9th grade. I had my own assigned textbook but I needed an opening seeing as I haven't been in this guy's vicinity since 7th grade and we went to different high schools. When I returned the book, I gave it to his sister because he was not home, so I am not even sure if he got my letter. I had little to no expectations of anything coming out of the venture but I was tired of mooning over the same guy for four years, I needed to act! It's either he liked me, highly unlikely, or he didn't and I can put my overthinking, overactive mind to rest. I never heard from him again.

The last time I asked a guy out, I slide into his DMs and asked him out on a date, and we went to dinner, it went great, I loved every minute.

I am a card carrying feminist and I am for empowering a woman to be bold and go for what she wants. I am not very patient nor can I honestly sit back (waiting to be chosen) and watch who I want prance in front of me without doing anything. However, that is not the entire story.

Sometimes, I take a leap so I can break my own heart, unrequited feelings are the absolute ghetto, sometimes I can tell that he doesn't like me that way but I can't reconcile my heart to this fact. So I put on my big girl panties, take a deep breath and dive in, head first, eyes closed, hoping against hope that he feels the same way too because if I am going to do something, I will do it wholeheartedly.

The rest of the time, I thought it may possibly lead somewhere. I am single, so you see how well that has worked out for me.

I have been ghosted, stood up and ridiculed. In 9th grade, later that same year I wrote my first letter, I wrote a note to my crush, he was in my class. I actually thought he liked me, we got on well enough, he even paid special attention me, or so I thought... Anyway he shared the note and by theend of the day, the entire class knew. I did not live that down for two years. In 10th grade, another crush, this time from youth group, compared me to my skinny friend and told me I should "dress like her", two weeks after being rejected when I pulled him aside after church and confessed my undying love. Someone say insensitive!
Two years ago, I blogged about  this one time I was ghosted, after I was done being salty here.

Amongst the things I have done have included writing letters and notes. Writing and performing poems for love interests (who did not show up to the show), asking out said guy on a date and yes, paying for it. Making a playlist for a good friend and then asking him how he feels about me, and once, I slid into his DMs First.  I am also guilty of fasting and praying for a week before talking to him. I fasted, a dry fast just water, for a week. I am in awe of myself!


In all my misadventures, I have always made my intentions very clear. "I like like you, do you like like me too and maybe want to be with me? "

I don't know how other girls do it, but I tell you, this is some of what I have done.... So, now you know,  we are not unicorns, girls who shoot their shots, we are real, and more than you think we are. And just maybe around the corner.

Comments

  1. I don't have your courage, but I wish I did. It really is unsettling to sit still and watch your crush live their best life unaware that your heart is on fire!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Like hello,I'm over here you doofus!

      Courage you say, thank you

      Delete
  2. I don't have your courage, but I wish I did. It really is unsettling to sit still and watch your crush live their best life unaware that your heart is on fire!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unbelievable that they continue to be unaware that they are the object of my affection, so I tell them

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

You should marry her instead

I won't do the dishes, I'll leave them in the sink for 2 days. You'll get sick of them and do them yourself. I won't pick up after myself and I only do the laundry when I have nothing else to wear.  I do not cook. I'll grab an apple and make a pot of tea if I'm hungry, you cook. She cooks and cleans and makes the bed every morning. You should marry her instead, she makes a better wife. I'm anti social, temperamental and sometimes just bitchy. Your friends will love me but I'll be in the bedroom when they come to visit. She's social and a very good host. She's the better choice. I'll frustrate and irritate you needlessly, I'll work on your nerves and I won't even know it. I'll be sorry for a little while then I'll forget. I'm self absorbed and very selfish. I'll think about me before you. I won't pause the movie when you use the loo and I'll continue to watch the series without you when you're at w