Skip to main content

Fear of intimacy or what's really wrong with me or why you shouldn't be in love with me

I spent this morning thinking about all the people I can't seem to let go of. The ones I need to cut off, people I no longer speak to on a regular basis but am still hung up on and that one guy I've reconciled that I'll always love. My soul is like a graveyard of dead relationships, people long gone.

I spent the better part of this evening looking a pictures of an almost love, figured it's time to burn this bridge but I can't, I feel physically ill now. I'm nauseous, my chest hurts, I can't seem to let go off the skeletons of what could've been. I keep thinking, I don't want it, not in this form, certainly not any time soon, still I'm incapable of thoughts of closure. 


The Script's good in goodbye reduces me to tears every single time I get in my feelings. 

No matter how it falls apart
There's an "art" in breaking hearts
But there's no fair in farewell

I haven't learned how to let go yet, so I'm going to leave these ghosts in a corner and i'm to focus on the people in my life, my loved ones.

Every time I meet someone new, someone who draws me in, someone I'd like to get to know better, someone I foresee I'm going to be around for  a long time, I ask such a person to take an attachment style test. I cross my fingers and hope for secure attachment, so far I've been lucky.

My attachment style is dismissive avoidant, which means that I place great importance on being independent. I feel very uncomfortable depending on someone, or being depended on by others. When presented with opportunities for closeness, I pull away. I will most definitely not seek out relationships, it is safer by myself. I don't know how to receive love, every time I get too close, I run away.  I am incredibly selfish and self absorbed.  

It's a herculean task allowing people close me, I'm neurologically wired to be alone, to push people away.  I've been a terrible friend and sister, closed off, distant. I have incredibly understanding, loving, forgiving, amazing loved ones.  

I'm not sure how or why you're still with me, why you still love me but I'm grateful. I'm incredibly grateful. I really do thank God every time I think of you, I'm so fortunate, my heart's overflowing and yet I don't know how to let you know. 

This is me saying thank you for sticking around, I'm sorry I've been so cold. I'm going to try and do better, I'm honestly working on being more active  and around.  Please continue to bear with me.


To develop  healthy attachment, I must make sense of and feel the full pain of my past. I'd rather walk on broken glass.  Apparently I must develop a coherent narrative. "If we can face our history and make sense of our narrative, we can actually change the course of our lives and relationships."

Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.” ― Fred Rogers

I have trouble understanding when someone else wants or needs something from me, please speak up, please ask me, I'd love to love you the way you deserve too.

Comments

  1. You are not alone, I'm glad there are people whose love bear hugs you unconditionally!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

You should marry her instead

I won't do the dishes, I'll leave them in the sink for 2 days. You'll get sick of them and do them yourself. I won't pick up after myself and I only do the laundry when I have nothing else to wear.  I do not cook. I'll grab an apple and make a pot of tea if I'm hungry, you cook. She cooks and cleans and makes the bed every morning. You should marry her instead, she makes a better wife. I'm anti social, temperamental and sometimes just bitchy. Your friends will love me but I'll be in the bedroom when they come to visit. She's social and a very good host. She's the better choice. I'll frustrate and irritate you needlessly, I'll work on your nerves and I won't even know it. I'll be sorry for a little while then I'll forget. I'm self absorbed and very selfish. I'll think about me before you. I won't pause the movie when you use the loo and I'll continue to watch the series without you when you're at w