Skip to main content

A Happy Home

 

I tell him my favourite color is black, like my soul. 

He chuckles disbelieving 

Says no

I allow it. 

I'm too happy ignoring the trauma that's brewing underneath


He lets me sleep in his bed and cuddled up with him because I am always cold, always freezing

I hold him close and hear my heart open and almost weep

Deep breaths, it's going to be okay, it will be alright 


He let me fall in love with him and he pulled the rug from beneath me 

Like jumping into a pool thinking there's water only to fall on shards of broken glass, 

The pool is empty. 


I'm not sure I'm the type of girl that will ever find love, maybe I am too broken

Mommy left, daddy drank and I've been searching for home ever since

My secret dream is to be have a happy home

I saw that home in you, so don't ask me why I can't just walk away…. 


I know better than to hang around waiting for you to be ready

But  

The thought of leaving you physically hurts, 

My chest burns

My  lungs collapse 

Must be the thought of  relinquishing the glimpse of home I saw in you

I saw the promise I made a little girl once

 Her secret dream, 

A happy home

You look like that promise kept. 


I'm kind of glad you are not ready

Sleepless nights and burning heartache aside 

You introduced me to a secret I didn't know I held inside

Shined light on a secret I forgot I made

A happy home 

You helped me see

A broken heart and a mending soul

That's what I get for opening myself up to you 

And me. 


Maybe I will build that home 

Maybe I will cry myself to sleep 

I will crawl inside myself

 Maybe I will find that lost little girl and love her.


I will build that home 

I will love her

I am ready for her

I am here, I will never leave her 

She can want you, but I will make sure she will never need you to breathe again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

You should marry her instead

I won't do the dishes, I'll leave them in the sink for 2 days. You'll get sick of them and do them yourself. I won't pick up after myself and I only do the laundry when I have nothing else to wear.  I do not cook. I'll grab an apple and make a pot of tea if I'm hungry, you cook. She cooks and cleans and makes the bed every morning. You should marry her instead, she makes a better wife. I'm anti social, temperamental and sometimes just bitchy. Your friends will love me but I'll be in the bedroom when they come to visit. She's social and a very good host. She's the better choice. I'll frustrate and irritate you needlessly, I'll work on your nerves and I won't even know it. I'll be sorry for a little while then I'll forget. I'm self absorbed and very selfish. I'll think about me before you. I won't pause the movie when you use the loo and I'll continue to watch the series without you when you're at w