Skip to main content

Open letter to my ex boyfriend's current girlfriend

Hey You

How are you doing? Hope you're better than I am today. I'm feeling like the weather, gloomy.
The words I am about to write to you should probably be only uttered in my shrink's office but that appointment is in two weeks and I am impatient. So bare with me, this is more therapeutic than anything. Also, I hope you never read this, really. I'm going to pretend you won't and pour my heart out; you probably wont, please don't.

So the first time I heard about you, I was deeply hurt, I didn't know your name or what kind of woman you were. All I knew is my ex, your boyfriend, moved on pretty quickly from me. I know I had no right, seeing as I left him but it hurt like a bitch. You see, I was still as in love with him as the day I met him, he was still my sun, moon and stars. I hoped you were temporary, a rebound but you turned out to be much much more.

I'd chosen to put both of you on the back burner till I graduated because thinking of you lead me to some pretty interesting places and landed me in  THAT guy's bed. I always knew I was not built for flings  and I confirmed it. Granted, he was really hot and the things he did with his tongue, my God! I digress.

Coming back home was like someone hit play on my emotional state. Everything I buried underneath all the exams, assessments and runs in the simulators came flooding back. I didn't want anything to do with either of you so I kept my distance. But you know how people talk, they shared tidbits about what kind of person they thought you were, against my express wishes. I was determined to move on with my life. 6 months in, I was back in town and you were still in his life.

It didn't take long to stalk you online. I was creeping on your twitter and I watched all your videos on your YouTube channel, I even shared a few. I sent the one about "swiping" to most of my friends, I liked it best, it inspired "my feminism stops at the bill and the bar" my new motto.

I couldn't not like you, from what I garnered you were actually cool.  Perhaps maybe, if we met in another life we would be friends. We'd hang out and sh*t. It was kind of annoying that I couldn't not like you.

And then, you took over the Mental Health Nam account on twitter and you became a real human being with feelings and sh*t. Initially I didn't know it was you, I was liking and retweeting  but when I realised it, I stopped. You were as real to me as a person you've never met got. You weren't just my ex's girl anymore, you were you,  a whole person. The icing?  From what I saw, you made him happy, that's all I wanted for him.  I could sleep at night knowing whatever I had fucked up, you made whole. You kept me from feeling like a complete b*tch. Your presence in his life, even helped me.

When I met him again for the first time, it was almost a year after the break up. I had deluded myself into thinking I was over him,  I wasn't. I went as far as dating this now good friend of mine, for two weeks. I was left with the realisation that I still had feelings for YOUR boyfriend. YOURS, not mine. And a whole fucking year later, fuck me!

When I met him I didn't think about how you'd feel until a friend pointed out that it's just not done, and how would I feel if the roles were reversed. I shrugged my shoulders and thought, its him, you know.  I could find him in bed with another woman, naked and the explanation is that he isn't cheating. He'd never do anything like that and I'm me, I wouldn't either. But how were you supposed to know that? Strange as it may sound, at the time I was very oblivious.
Besides I had been where you were, at home(or where ever) while he met up with his ex/best friend and I didn't bat an eye lid.

 Dear "new" girlfriend, I apologise if my meeting him for "coffee" and catching up caused any friction or discomfort in any way.
Dear "new" girlfriend, I just want to affirm that you were probably not crazy if you felt uneasy about me meeting him, if you thought I had residual feelings for him, you were right.

You were doing your thing, I think. I stopped cyber stalking you for a long while. Life happened and I got busy with work. God, I love my job!

The night I saw you in person for the first time was at the Loft, last year, my heart beat fast. I was so thrown I missed a step (granted I generally am just clumsy). The whole night I watched you, spoke about you, my friend grew sick of it all. On twitter, the next day, you said it was just the night out you needed.  I breathed a sigh of relief.

If you noticed I kind of had an imaginary relationship with an imaginary you (as evidenced by this being my longest post yet). I don't know what you're like in person, we've never spoken. But to the figment of my imagination and even maybe the real you I say this: I spent the week crying over MY actual troubles and stuff in my life and I realized I don't have the mental space for him anymore. My life has moved on so much (thank God!) and  the you in my mind(imaginary you)  I need to let go of.
 "Him?" You ask? I care enough about to want him to be okay but half the time these days it's whatever. The other day I saw his insta post and I thought nothing, I kept scrolling.

Dear you, I saw someone who has been in my life in a new light, I've always liked him way too much, letting go of your boyfriend, my ex, freed me up to be romantically entangled.
Dear You, I've moved on to a whole set of new problems, I now have feelings for a friend, FML!! Why can't my life ever be easy?

Dear You, I hope you're happy. I hope you live a full and abundant life. Dear You, keep doing you, you're one amazing human being. I  would know.

All the best
Your boyfriend's Ex.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

You should marry her instead

I won't do the dishes, I'll leave them in the sink for 2 days. You'll get sick of them and do them yourself. I won't pick up after myself and I only do the laundry when I have nothing else to wear.  I do not cook. I'll grab an apple and make a pot of tea if I'm hungry, you cook. She cooks and cleans and makes the bed every morning. You should marry her instead, she makes a better wife. I'm anti social, temperamental and sometimes just bitchy. Your friends will love me but I'll be in the bedroom when they come to visit. She's social and a very good host. She's the better choice. I'll frustrate and irritate you needlessly, I'll work on your nerves and I won't even know it. I'll be sorry for a little while then I'll forget. I'm self absorbed and very selfish. I'll think about me before you. I won't pause the movie when you use the loo and I'll continue to watch the series without you when you're at w