Skip to main content

Run your own Race


I used to be friends with this lady who started treating me different because she "made it". She bought a flat  and had a car. She thought I was jealous of her " success." I was not. She kept saying things like "when you're the only one of your day ones who has made it..." She was in debt and couldn't afford her lifestyle.

Right now,  I'm listening and scoffing inappropriately at a conversation my colleagues are having about another colleague. The discussion centers around the fact that he bought a Yaris, instead of a Beamer "For a guy so big and who earns so much money! His kid is in a public school and he lives in a GRN house, what does he do with his money?"

My own path has followed an unconventional path, there's no way I would've predicted I'd be where I am right now, professionaly or in my personal life. And the naysayers have always been around, people who will want to force their world view on you.  Bullies and trolls.


I have come to the conclusion that I will run my own race, I alone will determine my path and what my priorities are.  This includes defining my purpose, determining what I want my life to be about and letting go of people's expectations. Realising that envy is a symptom of a problem that needs tackling and there's no need to compare or compete with any one else.



I have to live with myself, there's no getting away from me, so I have to do whatever it takes to be at peace with myself. There's no way I'm going to do something to please someone else and end up hating myself for it. My relationship with myself will take precedence and I will not apologise for it, not even to my mother.


I alone have to account to my Maker. I doubt peer pressure will be a plausible excuse. I don't want to go to your damned church, have you heard your pastor preach?  He needs to read his Bible and stop like listening to televangelists.
I won't go to the club after hanging out, its 1 am, I need sleep. I don't even like house music, what do you want from me?

I'm done placating you, I don't care how long we've known each other, keep it moving, there's no place for you here no more.

No one else has the same set of circumstances I do. Not even my siblings and I experienced life the same way and we grew up together. Therefore I will run my own race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

You should marry her instead

I won't do the dishes, I'll leave them in the sink for 2 days. You'll get sick of them and do them yourself. I won't pick up after myself and I only do the laundry when I have nothing else to wear.  I do not cook. I'll grab an apple and make a pot of tea if I'm hungry, you cook. She cooks and cleans and makes the bed every morning. You should marry her instead, she makes a better wife. I'm anti social, temperamental and sometimes just bitchy. Your friends will love me but I'll be in the bedroom when they come to visit. She's social and a very good host. She's the better choice. I'll frustrate and irritate you needlessly, I'll work on your nerves and I won't even know it. I'll be sorry for a little while then I'll forget. I'm self absorbed and very selfish. I'll think about me before you. I won't pause the movie when you use the loo and I'll continue to watch the series without you when you're at w