Skip to main content

Political: I didn't vote in the last election

I'm not very proud of the fact that I didn't vote in the last election  but if I had to redo it again, I'd still not vote.

The question wasn't who was going to win but by what majority percentage SWAPO was going to win by.  I rationalised, one vote didn't matter. A contradiction to the motto I spew when I try to make a difference in the world, especially when it's microscopic; "every rain drop raises the sea"  is what I always say. Clearly my vote counts, every vote counts but does it matter?

I was born after independence, born free. I hereby claim the status of ignorance, ingratitude and willfulness that the older generation attribute to my generation. For all intent and purposes, this will be my justification for anything stupid I may say.

If we are being realistic, the next SWAPO President will become the Head of State, so let's not pretend that the internal ongoings of SWAPO does not directly affect us.

I'm not even going to tell you what I think of the  presidential candidates. Because 1) I don't follow the news well enough to have an properly informed opinion. 2) It doesn't take a genius to figure out that as long as the status quo is maintained, we as citizens don't really care. The previously advantaged (*cough* white *cough*) people are still advantaged; the previously disadvantaged are kept in line by oppresive peace and stability mantras. And 3) my dad would kill me.

My parents are ovawambo, war veterans and like all their kin, they're loyal to SWAPO, FNB and MTC.
I understand their loyalty to SWAPO, my parents sacrificed their lives and youth in service to their country under the SWAPO banner. I understand their loyalty to MTC, despite the fact that we all know TN Mobile provides better internet services. MTC is like your first love, they'll always hold a special place in your heart. I resent their loyalty to FNB, my mother made me stand in a queue for 3 hours at the Ondangwa Branch in the smoldering heat because she refuses to pay the bank fees to transfer money to a different bank. I'll never forget walking past the Standard bank branch, so empty and well ventilated, to join the FNB queue which spilled over to the outside. Such loyalty, God bless my parents. I digress to state that we are creatures of habit, we stick to what we know.

What we know is the older generation lead us to independence, they rid the country of  apartheid. They are the only goverment we know. That is why all the presidential candidates are war veterans, why they are all old. These youngins can't be trusted, clearly the guerilla combat skills needed to fight in the trenches are the exact requirements needed for creating national development goals.

There's a generational gap that should've been breached by open dialogue and mentorship. If the youth is still viewed as too young too lead, still the far off future, what will happen to us when our elders pass on, may they live forever.

I'm disheartened by the fact that the message from our elders to the youth is to stay out of things, we're too young they say, too rowdy they claim, inexperienced  and uncomprehending. The few that dare to get involved are vilified, why should we bother? It's only our future that's on the line.
Is there even a succession plan or are we just winging it?







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Platonic:Just Friends

Can men and women just be friends? That is an apparently hard question to answer. Can two single, relatively attractive people of the opposite sex just be friends and nothing more? The answer to this question from my personal experience is I don't know, maybe?  Word of caution, if you're interested in dating one of the two friends, look closely, very closely. Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point. Once upon a time on a university campus in Windhoek there was a girl who met a guy. The girl and guy somehow became friends, the girl doesn't remember how. They were both involved in campus ministry, they saw each other most days of the week and they both went to the same non-denominational bible study in the park on Saturdays. They called and texted each other all the time, the girl liked they guy very much and suspected that the guy liked her too. However they guy never made a move and soon the girl grew disillusioned, maybe the guy didn't like her like that

Rejection Slips

  I love my rejection slips. I am going to print  and put them on a notice board in my room when I finally get around to  making my writing corner a reality. I imagine, they'll inspire me to pour my heart out and try again, because failure is not trying.  I got a rejection slip today, an email from an online magazine I really want to be published in. It hurt more than the others, it hurt because I really, really really wanted this and I poured my heart and soul into the article I submitted. It hurts, that's what I want to get across is, the " we regret to inform you that we eventually decided against publishing it as we do not think it is suitable for our platform at this time " that, that was an arrow through my heart. What does that even mean? I've poured over the magazine, I've read every article that caught my eye, I was guided by what was published. The article I submitted was a result of the feelings some one the articles evoked in me.   So tell me, wha

Obsessed: A Walk to Remember

I am crazy obsessed with A Walk to Remember, I can't help it, I love this movie; I am in love with the characters and I can't help but watch it over and over and over and over again.  I didn't make the gifs but here's my running commentary and the comparisons to my sorta kinda there love life. The whole movie is my favourite scene... God has a sense of humour, it has to do with getting a new sweater Please fall in love with me? Landon: Jamie... I love you.......... Now would be the time to say something.  Jamie: I told you not to fall in love with me.  Of course i'm afraid to fall in love with you. I'm  well on my way though. I don't want to do this alone, take a chance with me? I really want him to kiss me, he hasn't yet. Or shown any indication that he wants to! It's been so long I may actually have forgotten how to? Is kissing like learning how to ride a bicycle?  Kiss me!! It's dr